Friday, November 18, 2016

Author Interview - Deepti Menon



Deepti Menon has always believed in the power of the pen. Having done her post graduation in

English Literature and her B.Ed. in English, she had the option of teaching and writing, and did both with great enjoyment. She started writing at the age of ten, long before she acquired a Diploma in Journalism. She also had the advantage of being an Army kid, and later an Army wife, and loved the idea of travelling around India, meeting new people and acquiring new skills. She firmly believes that much of her personality was honed during those travels.
In 2002, her light-hearted book, ‘Arms and the Woman’, depicting life as seen through the eyes of an Army wife, was published by Rupa Publishers, Delhi. Deepti has been a part of numerous anthologies and her second book ‘Shadow in the Mirror’ is receiving critical acclaim. 





      

     

        Tell us about your book, ‘Shadow in the Mirror’. How did you get the idea for it? What is it about?
My book ‘Shadow in the Mirror’ came about from a tiny germ of an idea that took hold of my mind, and refused to let go. You know how tenacious germs can be! It was my central idea and my entire story got written around it.
‘Shadow in the Mirror’ is a story that starts off with a mysterious death, from which point the stage is set for all the other characters to enter, and create a saga in which all their lives are entangled. The cover image of the riveting lady with a huge red bindi only adds on to the drama! If you like suspense, I think you will enjoy reading her story.

     How long did you take to finish the book? How did you decide the title?
The book took twelve years in the writing. The actual writing took around two years but my manuscript lay in a dusty corner till I revived it, with the timely help of Dipankar Mukherjee of Readomania and his editors, twelve years later.
 The book was initially ‘The Girl in the Mirror’, but by the time I had revived my book, that title was taken, which actually worked as a blessing in disguise, as this title is definitely more eye-catching.

      Tell us about your journey as a journalist.
I worked for around seven years as a freelance journalist and enjoyed every moment of it. I even wrote a breezy piece on it. J

It was a lark as I wrote lifestyle articles and interviewed many interesting personalities like Jeffrey Archer, Ruskin Bond, actors Vijay and Jayaram, Shobhaa De, and many more. I finally had my own section in a magazine called Inbox 1305, a creative venture by the amazing Jyoti Agarwal, in which I reviewed plays, books and people. I thoroughly enjoyed that.

   What was ‘Arms and the Woman’ about?
I was born an Army brat, and turned into an Army wife when I got married to an Army officer. ‘Arms and the Woman’, which was published in 2002 by Rupa, took a light-hearted look at my life within this great institution, and talked about everything from postings to dining-in parties, maids and pets, and the wonderful camaraderie within the entire Army family. I also touched upon the travails that the Services wives have to go through, which make them appreciate the little joys of life even more.

  Tell us about Deepti, the person. What makes you angry or upset? What are the things that you care about?
Well, as Linda Goodman put it, if you go to a gathering and find one person there with her foot in her mouth, that will be a Sagittarian. That pretty much defines me, even though long years in the Army did make a slight dent in that aspect. J But I think that I have been lucky that I have inherited both a funny bone and an optimistic spirit which keep me going for hours.
However, certain things make me see red – animals being ill treated, and people being slighted, especially the elderly. I also don’t appreciate liars, cheats and double-faced people.
I care about relationships very deeply. My family means a lot to me, and so do my friends. I adore my books and my collection of Ganeshas. And of course, the one little person who absorbs my entire attention and affection today is my little granddaughter, Zoya!

What do you consider the biggest challenge in writing?
I think that the biggest challenge in writing is to ensure that your writing sparkles and that your words catch the eye of your readers, and lodge themselves in their hearts. As someone put it so aptly, “Leave a little sparkle wherever you go.” Unless you love your own writing, no one else will do so. Editing your own writing is heartbreakingly challenging, as you never do want to kill any idea, or character, or plot that you have hatched.

    What will you be working on next?
I have a manuscript that I completed in the last NaNoWriMo, which I haven’t touched. I am also participating this year. So those are two WIPs which I would like to polish and serve to my readers with a smile. J

  Any message that you would like to give to our readers and aspiring writers.
Read as much as you can for there is so much out there to be savoured. Write from your heart and create your own style. Above all, live life with love and compassion and that will show in your writing as well.



Thank you so much, dear Paulami, for giving me a chance to decipher my own self! <3

3 comments:

  1. Yet another sparkling review! Thank you for the interview Paulami and to Deepti of course for taking up the challenge head on, as usual!

    ReplyDelete