Saturday, December 10, 2016

Book Review : His Drunken Wife by Sundari Venkatraman



Blurb: The badass Shikha is startled when the nerdy Abhimanyu proposes marriage. She loves herself, and Abhimanyu doesn’t figure on her list anywhere. For Abhimanyu, however, it was love at first sight when Shikha walked into RS Software, where the two of them work.
When Abhimanyu shows her that he just might be rich enough for her, a pleasantly surprised Shikha accepts his marriage proposal and moves into his swanky apartment.
But it looks like the love is all from only Abhi’s side as Shikha continues to drink herself crazy. Yeah, even at their wedding party.

And then Abhi sets out on a honeymoon to Thailand with his drunken wife. 

Review : I have read The Madras Affair and  The Smitten Husband by Sundari Venkatraman and like the flow of her stories. There is something short and sweet about them and her writing style adds to the feel of a romance.  When I first saw the cover of His Drunken Wife, my imagination was on a motion picture mode in which I could see women getting drunk in parties and taking the piano to sing a sad song. But the author had something very different in store for me. What I liked about the book is the handling of a very sensitive subject. I am not pro liquor ban of even for dry days. But alcohol addiction is a reality and people have found it difficult to handle it. Sundari also brings in a therapist who actually does therapy. Therapy for any addiction of physiological problem is not glamorous. Thumbs up to the author for handling it realistically. 
  What I could not relate in the beginning was Abhimanyu’s wish to marry her and was sure he has something sinister in mind. Well, I need to stop watching erotic thrillers that Bollywood makes every year. But turns out Abhimanyu is a man who is serious about Shikha and wants to go all the way to cure her of the addiction. However, Abhimanyu is hardly boring and I am sure Shikha chooses to marry him for more. It just can’t be his bank balance and penthouse. He appears a little weird in the beginning but intelligently stops Shikha from smoking and gets her to do some ‘real work’ at work at the office. 
  I know Sundari creates very likable heroes. But this time it is Shikha that has my thumbs up. There is perhaps nothing perfect or brilliant about her. But that is what makes her more real. I liked the way her past is discussed briefly. People lead broken lives for a reason. And the author doesn’t go into preaching or a rant. It comes in the narrative and it passes. 

So what are you waiting for? The book should be on your shelf. 




1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much Paulami. I am so glad that you could relate to my heroine. Shikha is one of my favourites too and she was insistent that her story be told. :D

    ReplyDelete