Friday, December 16, 2016

In conversation with Rubina Ramesh

 I enjoyed this conversion. Read on and find out more about Rubina Ramesh



1.    Tell us about your journey, your childhood, and the career choices you made.  
You can call my childhood a complete novel. Don't worry will not torture the world with my stories.:D But it was both happy and sad. I had everyone - a joint family system with grandparents, uncles and aunts and cousins. And then I lost them all. One lesson which I learned is that 'a family is a fleeting happiness. Never take that for granted'. We all do that.

2.    How did you begin writing?
My grandfather was a scientist and a writer. He was an ardent fan of Rabindranath Tagore (typical Bengali quirk) and Shakespeare (a typical Bengali acquired taste. :D) and he was also a Chinese to English translator. From this powerhouse of a storyteller, my evenings would be lost sitting under the stars and listening to stories. From folklore to aliens kidnapping me and taking me away permanently - depending on the deed of my day I suppose. :P His tales were something. I would often confuse between reality and make-believe. My mom was a script-writer and she an ardent fan of Mills and Boon and Sidney Sheldon. How could I not but write? :D

3.    Tell us about your first book. How did you come up with the idea?
My first book is actually Finding the Angel but I took a long time to bring it out. In the meantime, I would pen short stories in Wrimo India group and from thoseKnitted Tales was born. It was ready to fly while my dear Angel took some more time. But everything happens for a reason and today, I can truly say I am happy the way it turned out to be.

4.    Do you have a writing routine?
I truly wish I had one. I try to make it a point to write 1000 words every day, though the target is set at 2000. But it never happens. TBC takes a chunk of my time and then family. Now if the Great Man above would just give me one hour extra every day - well, I am sure I will find a new reason to procrastinate.

5.    What are the challenges you faced as a writer?
Lack of time is the major drawback I think every writer faces. We have so many stories to tell, yet so less a time. I was worried, at one point of time, that I should not be known as a writer posthumously. Thank god, I am still breathing.

6.    How does it feel to be an Author? Tell us something about your Pre-Author life and Post-Author life?

The only difference between the two lives are- First I would go more to google.com and now I am always staring at amazon.kdp.com :P

7.    What are your favorite books and who is your favorite Author?
I started with Charles Dickens and Emily Bronte and moved on to Daphne du Maurier. Then as my then principal would say, fell down to Mills and Boon and Carolyn Keene :D But I love all authors and books. Give me any story, I can read it. Today from Dan Brown to SundariVenkatraman, from Sidney Sheldon to Sudha Murthy. Yours too Paulami has left an impact on my life.  Currently, If I have to point towards one author - Nora Roberts.My all-time favorite.

8.    You have been promoting books and reaching out to authors. What inspires you to promote works of these writers.
This is a tough question. Initially, it started as fun and then it became a venture :) The Book Club started in 2014 just to gather reviews. Frankly speaking, I did not have much knowledge during that time. What I had was insomnia. :D TBC is like an anchor to me, holding me to my roots. It was due the Indian Authors.

9.    Not all stories and narrations are good. How do you handle the urge to write a not so good review?
What is a good narration? And what is a good story? This is so subjective. I only see one thing, could I connect to the story? After I shut down the pages, do I feel bad that it's over? I have often accused of giving only good reviews. But that is not the case. Unlike many reviewers, I don't review the book that I want to give 2 stars or below. I do send a private note to the author and that is between us. End of the day, my reviews are not about my writing skills. I don't need to bash an author to display that. But believe me, sometimes, it's very tempting. I am this close to it, but I hold back. Reviewers do a very tough job Paulami, and they often don't even get thanks. Sometimes, the authors forget and sometimes they don't like the review.

10.    Message for new writers and your readers.
To new writers: Join me. Take the plunge. It's not that scary.
To Readers: Write to me at rubinaramesh1973@gmail.com and let me know if there is any story in Knitted Tales which would look good as a novel. Personally, I want to do Lolita. What would you want?

Rapid Fire –

A writer you have a secret crush on and want to reach out through this interview. - Sidney Sheldon (*giggles* sorry Paulami, not falling into this trap :D ) May he be one of my assigned Muses!

Something crazy you have done. Like scaring or kissing a stranger.
Wicked! Ok this one is silly but I but....
If anyone has read The Naughtiest Girl in the School, they will know this famous line, "I am the naughtiest girl in the school. I bark and I bite." I wrote that on a piece of paper and put it on my school nemesis's back of the shirt. I was suspended for two days. And read 5 chapters of my moral science book. I would have preferred kissing a stranger to that torture.

Worst book you have read.
The above mentioned moral science book.

A political personality you hate- No Trump, please. Too obvious.
Does it matter? They will get a mention and feel more important. But the same person whom you hate Paulami :D

One person, you want to block/ unfriend/ unfollow on social media.

Shakespeare.(just imagine :D)  He made my life miserable with all the 'th's

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much dear Paulami. I loved answering these questions.

    ReplyDelete